|Good Communication Helps!!|
- We find it tough to explain complex ideas. We avoid speaking out at first place. Resulting in unexpressed ideas. Moreover, once we have agreed to somebody else’s idea, may be not so great, it becomes even harder to introduce our thoughts at later stage.
- No planning is perfect and despite having all the work items planned few tasks arises out of discussions in team meetings. I observe a pattern here, most of the time these unplanned task are urgent in nature, believe me, and manager wants to finish it ASAP. Manager asks developer to squeeze this task in his schedule. Agile or No Agile, now its developer’s turn to speak out……c’mon speak it up.….please…….but for him articulating his concerns is bigger problem then spending nights in the office. He commits! You know the story afterward, missing deadlines, poor quality, hate for manager, and list is endless.
- Apart from the side effects mentioned in above point one another thing also happens. I give you a hint. This ‘Another’ thing is very crucial for any team. Yes, you guessed it right, degree of Trust level decreases. If engineer is able to deliver after slogging he will blame his manager for burning him. Otherwise if he misses the date manager looses his faith in him.
I struggled with this problem for a while and finally decided to do something about it. It took a while to convince my team that this problem is more about formalizing their thoughts rather than having a command over a particular language. I tried the approach listed below. There is nothing new. Even then it worked well for me.
- Form a group, at team or organization level. This group will meet once a week.
- Group members will come prepared with a topic, which they will speak in front of group. Preferred topic should be non technical and imaginative in nature.
- There can be a time limit on duration a person is going to speak. Also number of speakers can also be limited if your group size is big.
- Now the tough part. There should be evaluator/s, which will help individuals with their suggestions.
- Here I am not recommending giving Voice accent training to engineers. My recommendation is to create a platform to help left brain creatures to build up a good mix of right brain prowess.